Customize

1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged Part 2

Discussion in 'Media' started by Skeptic1337, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Skeptic1337 Member

1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged Part 2

START HERE: WWP Wiki -- William Rex Fowler

Previous WWP threads:
    OTVII / VIII - Murder & Attempted Suicide in Colo
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-m...tology-minister-charged-60161/56/#post1163150
    --
    Carry on!
    --
    Update 1:
    Judge: Medical records must be released in Adams office-slaying trial - The Denver Post
  2. Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged Part 2

A) Is the wiki fixed, available & ready to edit?
    B) That wiki article is pretty large. I think 35kb is the suggested max. Should we consider breaking the document down into components?
  3. Smurf Member

Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged Part 2

Wow! Kudo to those that put this together. Excellent work.

Hope you created a mirror of it somewhere in the event Wikipedia takes it down in response to some Scilon threat.

With regards to Rex's adopted daughter, Angela. Strangely, she was referred to by Rex as "Melody" in the mid 90's, but an ex-Scio exec that was close friends with Rex & Jan said they always referred to her as "Angela."

Alexander and Angela are actual brother & sister.. adopted together.
  4. TinyDancer Member

5. Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged Part 2

That's not wikipedia, that is WWP's own wiki.
  6. Anonymous Member

7. JMBrandon Member

Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged Part 2

ARGH!
    how long must I wait for the briefcase of lulz!?
  8. Ogsonofgroo Member

9. JohnnyRUClear Member

G-Rex is down, but not out. He'll be combing America's golf courses looking for Ciancio's real killer in no time. Just watch.
  10. Anonymous Member

Bet you van Susteren won't be reporting on this one, though.
  11. Anonymous Member

Judge: Medical records must be released in Adams office-slaying trial - The Denver Post
  12. eddieVroom Member

And let's not forget - Jan Fowler's statement to the police nicely illustrate's the Master Race mindset of Homo Novis.
  13. Ann O'Nymous Member

14. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Me too, but I bet its just more L Ron Hubtard musings from a mad man.
  15. tikk Member

From article:

I'm not aware of any "first degree murder" evidentiary exception to trump medical record privacy, so I sort of think the reporter misunderstood what was going on, but I don't practice in Colorado. I doubt such a bright-line exception exists.

Basically, someone's medical records can be admitted into evidence regardless of privacy laws when the person puts their medical condition "in issue." In Fowler's case, his medical records are obviously relevant to the open forensic questions. But I'm not clear how he puts his medical condition "in issue" and thus waives his privacy rights until such time as he raises the defense, which is probably what the defense lawyer is contending. However, it's a foregone conclusion that he will waive his privacy right since his defense lawyer is signaling a self-defense defense, which defense would effectively put his medical records in issue. So I'm not sure why she even bothered making a privacy argument.
  16. Skeptic1337 Member

Interesting.

I actually found it more interesting that he's using a public defender. Doesn't he have to show some sort of inability to afford one?

If he did is this done through court filings?

No clue how that works.
  17. ZeLyt Member

Totally not a lawfag, but I think anyone can request a public defender. I could be wrong though.
  18. Rockyj Member

Why is G-Rex allowed a Public Defender? Wouldn't he have to prove finananical hardship?
    You mean Co$ is not helping him or hiring him a expensive criminal lawyer?
  19. Skeptic1337 Member

Yeah when ever I hear the Miranda thing it's

One will be provided for you if you cannot afford one.

Well at least in all the law and order epis that I watch, NYPD blue and hillstreet blues, barreta, starsky and hutch....

yep they all say the same thing.
  20. Smurf Member

I've read a number of court cases that Fowler's court-appointed public defender, Sarah Quinn, has presided over. The 48-year old lawyer seems to be smart as a whip and is not afraid to file appeals of murder convictions to the Supreme Court.

No. 05SA227. People v. Weiss. - April 24, 2006 - Colorado Supreme Court Opinions

No. 09SA100. People v. Brown. - October 13, 2009 - Colorado Supreme Court Opinions

FindLaw | Cases and Codes

So, whereas Rex will probably be convicted of murder, you can be assured that every opportunity for appeal will be explored in his case.
  21. Anonymous Member

Appeals need grounds for appeal, and anybody who wants one is assigned a public defender. People who can afford an attorney usually prefer being able to have someone who returns calls and answer questions more quickly than a PD's schedule allows.
  22. Anonymous Member

As long as the subject is to remain incarcerated pending his appeal, I'm OK with that.
  23. Skeptic1337 Member

Really?
    I guess I should ask google, because some how I think this aint right. But then I don't know.
  24. Anonymous Member

25. tikk Member

A judge has to consider whether forcing a criminal defendant to hire a private attorney would cause a 'substantial financial hardship,' although the exact language differs from state to state. A judge can weigh a wide range of factors in making this determination, it's not merely a matter of looking at someone's income tax return. And Fowler has huge financial problems, because whatever is (or was) in the bank will soon be depleted (likely by medical costs; I'm guessing he nullified whatever health insurance he had, if he had any, when he shot himself).

With regard to the question why Scientology isn't providing him legal help, it's pretty clear that they're looking to deperson him as soon as possible to the degree they're able. Like Reed Slatkin and Larry Anderson, it's difficult to deperson someone who was in so deep and put on a pedestal by the organization.
  26. Anonymous Member

Different jurisdiction I realize but for a (sad) laugh I thought I'd post the max income levels for LegalAid in my jurisdiction, in CAN$s:

Almost the entire class of working poor is unable to qualify..don't get me started on that, I deal with the fallout of this piss poor policy almost everyday. (though props to the hard working peeps at LegalAid)

Legal Aid Saskatchewan | I need legal Help | Family
  27. Rockyj Member

28. Anonymous Member

Epic fail. The chart is for family law cases, not for criminal defendants.

For almost fifty years, the U.S. Supreme Court has recognized that criminal defendants have a Constitutional right to a publicly-funded lawyer if they can't afford to hire one.

Any remotely competent attorney would charge at least $100K for a murder case like this one. Fowler took a bullet to the head and spent lots of time in intensive care, so he ain't making any money anytime soon, and his medical bills will probably wipe him out financially.

It's in everybody's best interests for Rex to have a good lawyer, whether the fees are paid by the government or somebody else. We don't want any allegations that he was railroaded, and a creative attorney is more likely to play the Xenu card.
  29. Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged Part 2

Biggest mistake ever. It's not that public defenders are bad lawyers. They are just way to overworked to give your case proper attention.
  30. Anonymous Member

Cops only have to read your Miranda warning after you are arrested (or subjected to government restraint that is "the functional equivalent of an arrest").

Most people say a lot of stupid shit that can be used against them before they're arrested, so cops delay an arrest as long as possible to keep them talking.
  31. Re: 1st degree Murder - Rev. William Rex Fowler Scientology Minister Charged Part 2

Nope. In Scientology cash is king. Every scilon that gets nailed by the law is responsible for their own legal expenses. And that's even if the scilons find a lawyer for the person who will cover their assess more so than the defendant.
  32. moarxenu Member

Am I the only one who is surprised that OSA didn't force Fowler to plead guilty?

Since the case is going to be prosecuted the whole crooked WISE-IAS-COS scheme risks getting exposed since that looks like where the motive for murder lies. Prosecution also raises the confidentiality issues of the dox in the brief case and perhaps the Living Will. Is the defense coordinating with OSA?
  33. Smurf Member

Nope. Every defendant is required to complete a financial disclosure document detailing their assets before a public defender is granted and assigned. The Miranda informs the defendant an attorney will be appointed if they can't afford one.

There have been cases throughout the U.S. where the courts learned defendants had the financial resources to afford legal representation, and vouched for public defenders. The courts cited them for contempt and billed them court & legal costs.
  34. Random guy Member

Well, did they have a chance to?
  35. Smurf Member

I doubt OSA is in any way involved in his defense. Because of the enormity of the crime and the media attention it has gotten, Scientology will work overtime to distance themselves from old Rex and will browbeat his wife into talking her husband in taking a plea deal with the DA's office in order to avoid a trial and risk talking about all the Scilon-related aspects of his personal & professional life.

I'm betting he will take a plea deal.
  36. tikk Member

I don't know exactly what went on at the initial hearing but I don't recall that he entered any plea. The plea will likely come at the preliminary hearing in early April sometime. But his lawyer has definitely signaled a self-defense defense, despite the Denver press not explicitly saying so (sloppy coverage thus far).

Also, OSA may not have much leverage to play with in trying to convince him to plead guilty to first degree murder, which could mean the death penalty. But you're right in that if he's going to go the self-defense route, he'll force the prosecution to prove that he planned to kill Ciancio, and that he had a motive to kill him, which will lead them into Ciancio's complaints about the company. I don't necessarily think that will 'blow the lid off' WISE/IAS/COS, but they'd definitely prefer not to find out.
  37. Vir Member

I think what is quite likely to be happening in the Hallifax assault case (where a woman hit an anon in the face) is that the suspect is getting highly priced legal advice from Scientology (likely outside attorneys) without disclosing this fact, and using a public defender in court to try to hide her connection to Scientology.

In this William Rex Fowler case, however, I'm not so sure that Scientology would do that. Fowler does appear to be hard up for cash, and he caused bad PR for Scientology, which would make it more likely that his claim for a public defender is more legitimate.
    We don't know what Scientology is doing behind the scenes though - if the wife answers to directions from Scientology or not. I guess we'll see if she divorces him, won't we?

Edit: That second paragraph basically is what Smurf said.
  38. Major Boyle Member

Why would the prosecution offer one? It's an open and shut murder case, pure and simple. Unless Fowler can implicate some other scientologists in a murder conspiracy, he has nothing to bargain with.
  39. Scatman Member

The DA will likely offer a reduced charge of second degree murder to plea the case out. The facts clearly indicate murder, so a voluntary manslaughter plea would get rejected by the prosecution.
  40. Major Boyle Member

The facts indicate premeditation. Look at the list of things he's given his wife to do after he's dead.