Customize

Applied Scholastics in Your Public Schools Now

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Belladonna, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Belladonna Member

2. Anonymous Member

Re: Applied Scholastics in Your Public Schools Now

Great Job. Thanks for your efforts.
  3. Belladonna Member

4. Anonymous Member

5. Hombre Moderator Skandinaviska

harpoons?
  6. Belladonna Member

7. da5id Administrator

Excellent work, belladonna! Could I convince you to create a wiki page for it so it doesn't get lost?
  8. Belladonna Member

I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea of how to do a wiki page. Rest assured this info will not get lost - I have several copies myself and studytech.org also has it.

Maybe I can haz /b/ackup?
  9. xenubarb Member

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to collect this info. A winrar is you!
  10. Belladonna Member

^Unfortunately, a loser is us. Eleven states, sheesh! It's gonna take some work to get rid of them.
  11. xenubarb Member

Well, the first step in fighting something is knowing you have something to fight.
    It's all good. Cali kicked Narconon out of public schools. We know what we have to do.
  12. Ann O'Nymous Member

13. ultrapoet Member

The number of states is dropping, though--Applied Scholastics was on the list for Georgia but has since been removed. Man the harpoons.
  14. Belladonna Member

15. Anonymous Member

States' "Supplemental" curriculum is not what is promoted or used via the "No Child Left Behind" act. It's the state's version of a semi-endorsement for private schools and home schoolers looking for curricula that ultimately would lead to the equivalent of high school diploma/competency. Religious curricula CAN be included on these lists, as they're targeted to non-state-funded schools, including schools with religious affiliation.

What I've began compiling a month ago is a list of states who have Applied Scholastics on their Title I approved curricula lists. These are the disturbing situations, because the approval criteria is supposedly more restrictive than their generic "supplemental" lists. Title I is what falls under the "No Child Left Behind" act AND, if used by a school, tutor, district, etc., is funded by the US Department of Education via reimbursement. In other words, it's funded by taxpayer dollars and also violates Sep. of Church/State.

Due to a recent BS situation that I have been forced to focus on instead of this, my spreadsheet is not complete.

I will work to get it finished ASAP.
  16. Mutante Member

Fucking solid win.
  17. Anonymous Member

Nevermind. I'm not going to spend any more time on this. I would offer, though, that harpoons will not bring adequate attention, IMHO. Ideally, someone credentialed would need to meet, in person, with the Department of Education in DC. Their Title I office funds all of the states in the budget area that would reimburse the cult.

Carry on.

Carry on. I'm out.
  18. Belladonna Member

^No, please, if there's a subtlety of this that I've missed, I would really like to help. This is the best understanding I've come to so far, but if there's more clarity, I'd like to know.
  19. YAHRLY Member

the fastest and easiest way to to contact the BOE of the offending states and threaten legal action for using RELIGIOUS teaching practices in a public school.

this will make the sit up on their heels fast quick and in a hurry
  20. Anonymous Member

Because it's tied to a federally funded program, the fastest way is to contact the national Title I office in DC. That office approve applicants for the states, approves reimbursement, and disperses funding - for all 50 states.

The ACLU may be interested, as well, as they have recently won some high-profile education sep church/state court cases.
  21. Belladonna Member

Faith-based programs have been expanded greatly in recent years, receiving federal funds for all types of programs. Unless that is challenged in court, it will continue to occur.

Supplemental Educational Services providers also include Christian groups and others, so that is not the silver bullet.

As far as the ACLU goes, they would need a plaintiff in order to challenge it in court.

Each state approves their own Services Providers, so it is my understanding that it would have to be challenged at state level.
  22. Optimisticate Member

23. Zak McKracken Member

If you still have the work-in-progress spreadsheet-
    any chance you could toss it up on google docs?
    http://docs.google.com
  24. Belladonna Member

US Department of Education

http://www.ed.gov/policy/elsec/guid/suppsvcsguid.pdf

tl;dr version: Yes, SES is under Title 1/No Child Left Behind. Yes, it's allowed to be faith-based. NO, the providers are not chosen by a federal office, they are chosen by states. Why else do you think every state's list is different?

You have to complain to your individual state's Department of Education, and your state representatives.
  25. Zak McKracken Member

There's a squirrel group with that name, on the official "Suppressive Persons" lists.
    No idea who they are or what they do.

The entity in California has a somewhat bumpy audit history.
    http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/auditreports/a09f0009.pdf

but none of the people I can find associated with arcassociates.org
    has any CoS service completions.
  26. tikk Member

To that end, I've posted on studytech the same list of 11 states, along with respective links to the contact info of each state's board of ed.

Things to keep in mind when complaining:

• Applied Scholastics is answerable Scientology, and effectively is Scientology, for all intents and purposes and despite anything the administrators or educators have been told. This is evidenced by Scientology's agreement with the IRS, which refers to Applied Scholastics as one of a number of "Scientology-related entities." The studytech.org site contains a thorough essay on Applied Scholastics which puts to rest any question as to their relationship, both in the legal and practical senses.
    • Applied Scholastics exists to deliver Scientology to communities that would otherwise not be receptive to it, including your children.
    • Applied Scholastics' main product, "study tech," is entirely unproven. Its only support comes from other Scientology front groups and studies conducted by entities beholden to or paid by Scientology. It has never received independent support from educators, and has indeed been ridiculed and condemned by disinterested educators who have examined it.
    • Insofar as Scientology is religious (and in the education sphere, it is important to argue that everything emanating from Scientology is religious) study tech is also religious and its use, therefore, in classrooms and other educational settings violates the first amendment in that it amounts to a government endorsement of religion.
    ~
  27. Belladonna Member

Bump for the evening shift.
  28. Anonymous Member

Indiana? AAAAAAAWWWWWWWW HEELLLL NAW
  29. Herro Member

Well applied scholastics isn't really any kind of religious program. HOWEVER, if I remember, the IRS gives them tax breaks for applied scholastics as some sort of faith based thing. So make sure you make note of that.

Anyways, good work. Get in touch with the offices of your local officials and let them know that you don't appreciate your tax dollars being used to pay for such a bullshit program.
  30. FUCK Member

^ This.
  31. Belladonna Member

^NO, you contact your State Department of Education, plus your senators and congressman for extra effective pooning. All links are provided on studytech.org.
  32. churchlady Member

This thread gave me hiccups. I'm not kidding.

Will get to work on this as soon as hiccups abate.
  33. Anonymous Member

WARNING: TL; DR. You're gonna read it all - and you're gonna LOVE IT, amirite? ;)

Education law can be complicated, and federally funded programs have gobs of red tape, so it's difficult to explain this succinctly in a forum such as WWP, but I am going to try to as I understand it as a licensed educator in the public school arena.

In regards to the post by Belladonna, up there somewhere ^^ that included this quote:
    Unfortunately, it's not as simple as the one-sentence "yes" answer that was quoted. There are additional stipulations in that section of the document that weren't quoted, that are (I believe) extremely important regarding Applied Scholastics and our interests:
    SECULAR. NEUTRAL. NON-IDEOLOGICAL. Does Applied Scholastics fit those 3 requirements?

The section quoted is also addressing discrimination somewhat. It does not mean faith-based organizations are allowed to offer their religious dogma in public schools. What it DOES address, in part, is that if a religious school's student population fits the Title I criteria, those students are to be provided Title I educational services (including within the confines of their religious building if it is deemed the best location), just as a non-religious private school can - and that state-funded and state-licensed Title I teachers are allowed to teach said students where best suited, including within the religious environment, without it violating the Establishment Clause.

For example, in a local school district, there is a Baptist school in the inner city that offers Title I services to its students in the church building. They're able to receive services because their students fit the disadvantaged/lower achieving criteria used in the rest of the district. Title I teachers from the public school district within the geographical boundaries of the Baptist school travel to the school to provide agreed-upon services. The district is not allowed to claim "you cannot receive Title I-funded services to supplement your education, even though your students fit the criteria, because they attend a private or faith-based school." Title I funds pay for the Title I teachers, some of the Title I materials, etc. There are more components to all of this, I know, but for brevity's (and my sanity's) sake, I am not going to go into all of it.

By law, all children in every state, are technically offered equitable education opportunities, regardless of the environment in which they receive their instruction. It's why homeschoolers, for example, are allowed to participate in physical education classes even if they receive no other instruction in the school. (I say technically equitable because the argument has been made that the quality of education varies tremendously, depending on the district. A really good, eye-opening book on this subject is Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol.)

In regards to Applied Scholastics, from the same document quoted above, I believe this section to be extremely relevant to our interests:Section J-1. What is required of SES providers? The SES provider:

1. Has a demonstrated record of effectiveness in increasing the academic achievement of students in subjects relevant to meeting the State’s academic content and student academic achievement standards [Section 1116(e)(12)(B)(i); 34 C.F.R. §200.47(b)(1)(i)]. (See C-15.)
    2. Is capable of providing instructional services that are:
    (a) High quality, research-based, and designed to increase student academic achievement[/B] [Section 1116(e)(12)(C); 34 C.F.R. §200.47(b)(2)(ii)(C)]. (See C-16.)
    (b) Consistent with the instructional program of the LEA [Section 1116(e)(5)(B), (12)(B)(ii); 34 C.F.R. §200.47(b)(1)(ii), (b)(2)(ii)(A)]. (See C-17.)
    (c) Aligned with State academic content and student academic achievement standards [Section 1116(e)(5)(B); 34 C.F.R. §200.47(b)(2)(ii)(B)]. (See C-17.)
    (d) Secular, neutral, and nonideological [Section 1116(e)(5)(D); 34 C.F.R. §200.47(b)(2)(ii)(D)].
    3. Is financially sound [Section 1116(e)(12)(B)(iii); 34 C.F.R. §200.47(b)(1)(iii)]. (See C-18.)
    4. Will provide SES consistent with applicable Federal, State, and local health, safety, and civil rights laws [Section 1116(e)(5)(C); 34 C.F.R. §200.47(b)(2)(iii)]. (See C-19.)[/quote]

Again - SECULAR. NEUTRAL. NON-IDEOLOGICAL.

To give any argument real "meat", Applied Scholastics needs to be shown to be non-secular, biased toward Scientology/any aspects of it, and/or that it entails any/all of the cult's ideology. Another area I personally think could be pushed is # 2A "research-based", as I have yet to see any true research supporting any aspect of it.

Hope this makes sense. Sorry for the tl;dr. I squished it down as best I could. Also, my apologies if I misstated anything earlier re: funding (or anything else for that matter. I am trying to do this w/o my research notes in front of me). Title I has been around for almost 40 years, and some aspects may have changed recently, perhaps in part due to NCLB.

Finally, to address the suggestion in this thread re: me providing the research I had gathered... I lost some of the info I'd gathered but hadn't yet put on a spreadsheet. Luckily, I had sent it to a fellow Anon for review prior to the email account disappearing. I will be glad to forward it on to Belladonna or whomever as soon as it's forwarded to me.
  34. Anonymous Member

^^^
    I'm pretty sure most of Applied Scholastics programs ARE NON SECULAR. Even Study Tech for the most part is non-secular to 90% of observers.

They can even claim statistics like % improvement.

So I wouldn't be so quick to jump on this being secular.

It depends on exactly what Applied Scholastics is doing. Sometimes it is very minor grant crap just to get their foot in the door / legitimacy.
  35. Belladonna Member

@Anonymous researcher:

Look, there are plenty of critics on record saying Study Tech doesn't work. There is also a lot of writing about how Applied Scholastics is teaching Scientology.

I'm going to say it again for the third or fourth time in this thread: studytech.org has a wealth of info.

We don't need to make it this hard. There are articles on record, lots of material.

I even bet you there are some administrators that would love to boot Applied Scholastics if given half an excuse.

I don't mean to sound too breezy, but if you turn this into something where only someone with a PhD can understand, we lost the game.
  36. Anonymous Member

I am one who has pushed studytech.org for over a year now, online and IRL. You're preaching to the choir. You may think I am making it too hard. I guarantee you it's not as easy as you think it is to get it ousted. Good luck in your endeavors.

I'm out...
  37. Belladonna Member

I'm sorry I've missed your previous advocacy. Yes, I'm a noob.

I just don't understand what you're suggesting as an alternate plan of action.
  38. Belladonna Member

Just to repost this to this page, info from Studytech.org:

39. tikk Member

Thanks for all this. I read it all and enjoyed. I'd appreciate if you forwarded the information to which you refer above to info@studytech.org.

The success or failure or a shame campaign may not hinge on a technical argument though--it may just be a matter of making clear the connection between fed and/or state funds being used to endorse Scientology. Scientology front groups often manage to fly under the radar but they've been less successful where the issue involves people's children, as evidenced by the fallout in California after Nanette Asimov outlined the connection between Narconon and the public schools.