Customize

Applied Scholastics no longer on approved list in 4 states

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Applied Scholastics no longer on approved list in 4 states

As of this week, Applied Scholastics is no longer on the state department of education approved providers list for tax-payer paid Supplemental Educational Services (tutoring) for 2010-2011 for California, Colorado, Kansas and it was removed from Florida's list last year. (It was approved last year for California for 2009-2011 but it is not on the 2010-2012 list.)

The following states
    1) had Applied Scholastics on their approved SES providers list for 2009-2010 and
    2) have not yet posted their SES approved providers list for 2010-2011:
    Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Tennessee, Texas and Washington

so at this time we do not know if Applied Scholastics will be listed or not for those states or put on any other state's SES approved provider list.

There was no reason given for Applied Scholastics no longer being on the state department of educations' approved providers list for the tax-payer paid Supplemental Educational Services.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. lokimotion Member

Re: Applied Scholastics no longer on approved list in 4 states

When is the deadline, if any, for this Supplemental Education Services approval process? If there is a deadline, I would reserve calling this a win until it passes.
  3. Re: Applied Scholastics no longer on approved list in 4 states

This is relevant to my interests.
  4. AnonLover Member

awesome! dually noted for the ASI/SES info pack i was planning on finishing up by end of the summer.
  5. JustSomeWoman Member

I did my part in Colorado, sending thirteen "physical letters" to the Colorado state Board Education about the connections between Applied Scholastics and Scientology and about the connection of "Study Tech" to the religious teachings of Scientology.

I trust that I made a difference. I never had one bit of feedback.
  6. AnonLover Member

deadlines & application procedures varies by state, but the usual norm is the newly approved SES provider list is released by state board of (or similar) by mid-to-late summer for the upcoming school year.

the info pack i have partially put together for aiding letter writing efforts is here, and includes a reference list of key contact info by state for each state the cult was previously approved in: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

^^dox will be updated/finalized in near future for new 2010-11 school year info. concerned peeps can halp by chking their own state and looking to see if 2010-11 SES Providers list is released, and if so - got cult?
  7. OTBT Member

:)
  8. 3rdMan Member

Hope DC would follow suit soon. If Illinois has disapproved now, then that means Chicago will no longer implement it. Good news is good.
  9. RightOn Member

I pooned several
    This is a good start
  10. Anonymous Member

11. ObamAnon Member

Getting there is half the fun!

Your letters made a difference. The act of writing them helped keep you in the fight, didn't it?

Keep up the good work and thanks for your contributions.
  12. Anonymous Member

Hmm...

I wonder how in the world this happened? ;)
  13. Bipolart Member

The Albuquerque Public School system has their meeting on the 30th. Applied Scholastics was on last year, though.

Hopefully, this year will be better.
    C'mon, New Mexico. Don't bring me down.
  14. OTBT Member

April 29, 2010, Tennessee Higher Education Commission recommended reauthorization of Applied Scholastics. No idea yet what the outcome was / is.

http://www.tn.gov/thec/Divisions/Co.../I.B.1. PSA Institutional reauthorization.pdf

15. Anonymous Member

Sorry to get your hopes up, but DC will NEVER be a state that gives up on Scientology.
  16. Anonymous Member

can we get a list of the states that approve on Applied Scholastics?
  17. anoninoob Member

Anonymous works and it helps people.
  18. Ann O'Nymous Member

Nice.
  19. Anonymous Member

OP, can you please provide links to the sites providing the info you discussed?
  20. AnonLover Member

21. AnonLover Member

Unfortunately, your likely stuck with 'em for atleast 1 school year, probably 2 or 3 yrs depending on how DC's SES application process handles "results-based reporting" and re-certification.
  22. RightOn Member

23. Ron B DED Member

1. Is this 2005 document useful in exposing Applied Scholastics?

2. Is it legal to promise guaranteed reading and writing in 20 hours?

readpage1.jpg

readpage2.jpg

The Learning Connection is currently still operating and hiring in Clearwater.

[SPOILER]
    Code:
    http://www.therazzline.net/classifieds/results.php?id=5515
    Early Childhood Tutor Needed - The Learning Connection - CLW

Name: Annette Primiani
    Publication Date: 16 Jul 10
    Address: 1156 NE Cleveland St
    Phone:727-443-5353
    Email:tlcinc@earthlink.net
    Code:
    http://www.learningconnectiontlcinc.com
    Early childhood tutor needed to tutor students from Pre-K through Grade 2 at
    The Learning Connection TLC Inc., Clearwater FL. Good Pay! The applicant must
    have a dependent child or children living with them under the age of 19.
    Please email resume with experience or for more information. [/SPOILER]
  24. Anonymous Member

"Evidence of effectiveness:
    Overall 2007-2008 evaluation grade: No grade (not enough data)

Customer Satisfaction: No grade (not enough data)
    Service Delivery: No grade (not enough data)
    Academic Effectiveness: No grade (not enough data)
    This provider has not served Indiana students. No evaluation grades are available. However, the provider's application indicates organizations using the provider's program have experienced increases in student achievement."

From the Indiana DOE webpage.

Poons sent
  25. Sponge Member

Will there be any implications for Will Smith's school for little hubbards?
  26. AnonLover Member

No. State SES Approval under the No Child Left Behind Act is only applicable to public schools in qualifying districts. Private delphi schools and the like (that are unaccredited to begin with) not applicable.
  27. Sponge Member

In that case, I wonder if it will still have an indirect effect on some private schools as more states eject Applied Scholastics from their public programs. Of course it won't affect the strictly cult run schools but the other private schools and non-scientology parents who have been duped into buying into it might start wonder whether it makes sense, having a program that is being increasingly unapproved in the public system.
  28. Anonymous Member

Info, as requested

NOT ON APPROVED SES LIST FOR 2010-2011

1. CALIFORNIA

SES Contact

Jerry Cummings
    California Department of Education
    1430 N Street, Suite 4309
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    Tel: (916) 319-0381
    E-mail: jcumming@cde.ca.gov
    State SES Website:
    Supplemental Educational Services - Title I, Part A-Accountability (CA Dept of Education)

2. COLORADO

SES Contact

Laura Hensinger
    Senior Consultant, Title I
    Colorado Department of Education
    201 East Colfax Avenue
    Denver, CO 80203
    Tel: (303) 866-6675
    E-mail: hensinger_l@cde.state.co.us
    State SES Website: Colorado Department of Education - Supplemental Educational Services

3. FLORIDA

SES Contact

Lisa Bacen
    Bureau of Public School Options
    Florida Department of Education
    325 West Gaines Street, Suite 316
    Tallahassee, FL 32399
    Tel: (850) 245-0479

E-mail: Lisa.Bacen@fldoe.org
    State SES Website: Florida Public School Options - Supplemental Educational Services (SES)

4. KANSAS

SES Contact

Diane DeBacker
    Deputy Commissioner, Learning & Innovative Services
    Kansas State Department of Education
    120 SE Tenth Avenue
    Topeka, KS 66612
    Tel: (785) 296-2303
    E-mail: ddebacker@ksde.org

State SES Website: Title I

ON APPROVED SES LIST FOR 2009-2010; NO INFO FOR 2010-2011

1. ILLINOIS

Illinois State Board of Education
    100 W. Randolph Street, 14-300
    Chicago, IL 60601

SES Contact

Gary Greene
    Illinois State Board of Education
    100 W. Randolph Street, 14-300
    Chicago, IL 60601
    Tel: (312) 814-5818
    E-mail: ggreene@isbe.net

State SES Website:
    Supplemental Educational Services Home Page and Illinois Supplemental Educational Services - Approved Provider Information

2. LOUISIANA

SES Contact

Kartina Roberts
    SES Section Administrator

The Office of School and Community Support
    Division of Student Learning and Support
    Louisiana Department of Education
    4th Floor, Cube 4-278AA
    1201 North Third Street
    Baton Rouge, LA 70802
    Tel: (225) 342-3488
    Fax: (225) 219-4454

E-mail: Kartina.robers@la.gov

State SES Website:

Supplemental Education Services - Louisiana Department of Education

http://www.doe.state.la.us/lde/uploads/14705.pdf

3. MISSOURI

Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
    205 Jefferson Street 

PO Box 480

Jefferson City, MO 65102

Tel: (573) 751-4212
    Fax: (573) 751-8613
    TDD: 800-735-2966

SES Contact

Mary C. Pearce
    PO Box 480
    Jefferson City, MO 65102
    Tel: (573) 526-4472

E-mail: Mary.Pearce@dese.mo.gov

State SES Website: http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/fedpr...al_Services/documents/SESProviderList2009.pdf

4. NEW MEXICO
    New Mexico Public Education Department
    Jerry Apodaca Education Building
    300 Don Gaspar

Santa Fe, NM 87501
    Tel: (505) 827-5800

SES Contact

Art Martinez

Title I Bureau

CCNM Workforce Training Center 

Eagle Rock Road,
    Albuquerque, NM 87501

Tel (505) 222-4744

State SES Website:
    Title I Supplemental Education Services

5. TENNESSEE

Tennessee Department of Education
    710 James Robertson Parkway
    5th Floor, Andrew Johnson Tower
    Nashville, TN 37243
    Tel: (615) 532-6245

SES Contact

Julie McCargar or Carol Groppel
    E-mail: Julie.McCargar@state.tn.us or Carol.Groppel@state.tn.us
    State SES Website:
    http://www.tennessee.gov/education/fedprog/doc/SES_Prov_List.pdf
    http://www.state.tn.us/education/fedprog/doc/fptennesseessp.pdfApplied Scholastics

6. TEXAS

Texas Education Agency

1701 N. Congress Avenue

Austin, TX 78701

Tel: (512) 463-9734

SES Contact

Anita Villarreal
    Director, School Improvement Program
    Texas Education Agency
    5701 Springdale Road
    Austin, TX 78723
    Tel: (512) 919-5313
    E-mail: anita.villarreal@tea.state.tx.us

State SES Website:
    Texas Education Agency - Supplemental Educational Services (SES)

FOR TX 2009-2010 SES Provider List-

Education Service Center Region XIII

7. WASHINGTON

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
    Old Capitol Building
    PO Box 47200
    600 Washington St. S.E.
    Olympia, WA 98504-7200
    Tel: (360) 725-6000
    TTY (360) 664-3631

SES Contact

Gayle Pauley
    Director of Title I and Title V
    PO Box 47200
    Olympia, WA 98504-7200
    Tel: (360) 725-6100
    E-mail: gpauley@ospi.wednet.edu

State SES Website:

Error 404

Error 404
  29. Anonymous Member

ON APPROVED SES LIST FOR 2010-2011

SUDDEN CHANGE: WASHINGTON HAS APPLIED SCHOLASTICS FOR 2010-2011

1. WASHINGTON

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
    Old Capitol Building
    PO Box 47200
    600 Washington St. S.E.
    Olympia, WA 98504-7200
    Tel: (360) 725-6000
    TTY (360) 664-3631

SES Contact

Gayle Pauley
    Director of Title I and Title V
    PO Box 47200
    Olympia, WA 98504-7200
    Tel: (360) 725-6100
    E-mail: gpauley@ospi.wednet.edu

State SES Website:

Title I and Learning Assistance Program

http://www.k12.wa.us/TitleI/pubdocs/ProviderListRegionalDistricts_2010-11.pdf
  30. AnonLover Member

Has all ^^This been verified against state SES websites/lists? If so <3 U & Thks! I'll get wiki page updated as soon as I'm off work for the day.
  31. AnonyMary Member

Keep up the good work, everyone!
  32. Anonymous Member

It would likely only make a difference if the US Dept. of Education took a stance and banned AS from any/all public school district SES lists. Most schools, and people, don't even pay attention to these lists or even know they exist because they're just a list of options for parents in poor-performing districts to select from that we, the taxpayers, then pay for. It's individualized tutoring. They're not in the classroom during the school day teaching Chemistry, for example.

If DC approved them, it means the US Dept. of Education needs to be edumacated.
  33. AnonLover Member

Thats not likely to happen cuz NCLB legislation is supposedly being overhauled by Obama's administration, a process that started with various studies/reviews under Bush adminstration that exposed all the weaknesses in the way things works now.

Thus US Dept of Ed is another good harpoon target with main points to relay being to consider the following in NCLB policy changes: Require ALL SES Providers to use certified/accredited teachers, require lower student to teacher ratios in problem schools (more quality class room time = less need for after school tutoring, an argument all the large teacher unions support which often call for abolishing SES program entirely in lieu of more public school funding), and require all faith-based SES programs to be registered as such rather than blindly lumping in religious indoctrination under generic study programs like ASI does.

^^ I sent 2 poons to US Dept of Ed on these points already in past year or so when last the alleged NCLB overhaul came up in the press. I dont know what good it did if any, but my state never let ASI get on the Approved SES Provider list so i fig'd WTH - cant hurt.
  34. Anonymous Member

RE: Applied Scholastics in the Supplemental Educational Services Title 1 Program.

This concerns Scientology’s Applied Scholastics (AS) tutoring program in terms of its being part of the tax-payer paid Supplemental Educational Services (SES) tutoring services for public and charter schools, under Title 1, Part A, of No Child Left Behind (NCLB). Seven states had AS in their SES and vulnerable students were being tutored in this program. The seven states, for 2009-2010, are: Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington.

Please note that in six of the above seven states that they are still reporting SES approved provider lists for 2009-2010 and thus they may drop Applied Scholastics for the 2010-2011 or 2010-2012 period. California, for example, has Applied Scholastics listed for 2009-2011 but dropped it for the 2010-2012. The other states that have dropped Applied Scholastics for 2010-2011 are: Colorado, (Florida… dropped in 2009), Illinois, Kansas

Washington State has just published its list and is listing AS for 2010-2011.

The following is being brought forward now for interested persons who wish to contact their state departments of education in order to accomplish a “heads-up” about this matter to administrators and to assist with ease of transition from Applied Scholastics to another tutoring program for the students, if the administrators think that the concerns warrant such a transition.

RE: Human Trafficking cases against the Church of Scientology:

One of the current problems with AS in public education is that there are three California human trafficking/labor violations and/or emotional distress law-suits in Los Angeles courts concerning the Church of Scientology. They are:

1. Claire Headley v. Church of Scientology Claire Headley 2nd Amended COMPLAINT - Fullscreen
    Summary: A suit from an ex Scientologist alleging among other charges, abuse, human trafficking, forced abortions, and fraud while in the Sea Organization and working at Golden Era Productions, etc.

2. Marc Headley v. Church of Scientology Marc Amended Complaint - Fullscreen
    Summary: A suit from an ex Scientologist alleging among other charges, inhumane working conditions, labor violations, and an illegally refusing to pay workers minimum wage as required by law, while in the Sea Organization and working at Golden Era Productions, etc.

3. Laura DeCrescenzo v Church of Scientology International
    1st Amended COMPLAINT - Laura A
    Summary: A suit from an ex Scientologist alleging among other charges abuse, first amendment violations, and child labor violations while in the Sea Organization and working at Golden Era Productions, etc.

(Please see: Civil Litigation on Behalf of Victims of Human Trafficking [2008], published by the Southern Poverty Law Center for general information about human trafficking. Retrieved from: http://library.lls.edu/atlast/HumanTraffickingManual_web.pdf)

While none of these cases directly address Applied Scholastics, or its umbrella
    organization Association for Better Living and Education (A.B.L.E.), in discussions with the attorney and in the first deposition (Claire Headley v.Church of Scientology) the plaintiff has stated that among the materials that were created at Golden Era Productions were materials for Applied Scholastics. The other two plaintiffs have confirmed this.

In human trafficking law, there is a concept of “hot goods,” meaning the materials that are created by victims of human trafficking. If the defendants are found guilty in criminal and/or civil court, such materials are subject to confiscation and forfeiture. (This is a complicated topic: please consult a legal expert.)

As these cases are moving forward, it is likely that the plaintiffs will prevail.

There will other human trafficking/labor violation/emotional distress cases filed in California and in other states against the various divisions of the Church of Scientology and the Church of Scientology International from ex-Scientologists. As information is accruing, it is evident that some of these individuals may have been employed in A.B.L.E. and even Applied Scholastics. In each anticipated case, the ex-Scientologists are alleging similar practices that are being adjudicated in the three court cases in California.

The concern is that federal department of education monies are being paid to Applied Scholastics, under the SES program, and that AS uses materials that were manufactured under conditions of alleged human trafficking/labor violations/emotional distress at the Scientology Golden Era Production Co. in Hemet, CA, and perhaps at other sites.

RE: Tutor qualifications, payment and parental complaint process

The tutors earn between $20 to $80 per hour per student and do not have to be credentialed teachers. This is a program designed to include faith-based groups and so any First Amendment or Wall of Separation argument is not heard though there is a required commitment from the providers that there be no proselytizing during the tutoring process.

At this time, the SES federal and state administrations have been depending on parent complaints (or lack of utilization) in order to justify more intense oversight or to remove a program from any state or district listing. However, almost all parents who become concerned about Applied Scholastics and its total replication of the Scientology Study Tech process simply withdraw their children and do not file a complaint. (There is nothing on any of the current applications about Applied Scholastics connection to Scientology or to the Hubbard principles of Study Tech.) And the administrators of the SES programs in the affected states think that they, by regulation, cannot provide more intense over-sight or any other supervisory consequences without the said complaints from the parents.
  35. AnonLover Member

Confirmed ^^this just to be sure... Kansas & Colorado SES approvals are definitely gone, here's 2010-11 dox that prove it.
    http://www.ksde.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=BkcTZhuGa5A=&tabid=3567&mid=8297&forcedownload=true
    http://www.cde.state.co.us/fedprograms/improvement/download/ss_complist.pdf

But Cali seems fishy to me (maybe i 2much tinfoil?) cuz the SES Provider database stilll shows approval status as 7/1/2009 - 6/30/2011:
    Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Provider - Approved Provider Information Detail (CA Dept of Education)

Yet its nowhere to be found on latest list:
    Final List of Approved Providers: Cohort 10 - Title I, Part A-Accountability (CA Dept of Education)

and i ^^wonder if the absence of ASI on the 2010-11 list is a glitch or typo. Would any cali fags plox poon DOE and get a confirmation its definitely canned?

Also, there's one other possible loophole we need to dbl check in order to confirm all signs of scilon tutors are gone on given state -- compare the state's SES Provider list against the Applied Scholastics Global Locator index and confirm there's no privately owned applied scholastic franchise that snuck in under an alternate company name ("A Plus ..." is popular fav).

WARNING SCILON SITE
    Applied Scholastics Global Locator

^^CO and KS local franchises likewise check out all-clear against the new SES Provider lists and are now removed from wiki page.

But Cali has a shit ton of cult study center franchises to cross check against "latest list" link posted above. I'll start digging thru those tomorrow if nobody else does.
  36. Re: Applied Scholastics no longer on approved list in 4 states

Anon works and it helps people.
  37. Anonymous Member

As of July 29, 2010:

Missouri, Tennessee and Texas join Washington in having AS on their 2010-2011 SES providers list:

1. Missouri (as of 07/26/10)

205 Jefferson Street 

PO Box 480

Jefferson City, MO 65102

Tel: (573) 751-4212
    Fax: (573) 751-8613
    TDD: 800-735-2966

SES Contact

Mary C. Pearce
    PO Box 480
    Jefferson City, MO 65102
    Tel: (573) 526-4472

E-mail: Mary.Pearce@dese.mo.gov

State SES Website:

http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/fedpr...al_Services/documents/SESProviderList2010.pdf

2. Tennessee (as of 07/29/10)

Tennessee Department of Education
    710 James Robertson Parkway
    5th Floor, Andrew Johnson Tower
    Nashville, TN 37243
    Tel: (615) 532-6245

State SES Website: Federal Programs - Supplemental Educational Services

Julie McCargar or Carol Groppel
    E-mail: Julie.McCargar@state.tn.us or Carol.Groppel@state.tn.us

Tennessee also has "A Plus Education and Training Services" and
    "A Plus In-Home Tutoring, LLC" but there is no way to determine if these programs are connected to each other or to AS

3. Texas (as of 07/29/10)

Texas Education Agency

1701 N. Congress Avenue

Austin, TX 78701

Tel: (512) 463-9734

SES Contact

Anita Villarreal
    Director, School Improvement Program
    Texas Education Agency
    5701 Springdale Road
    Austin, TX 78723
    Tel: (512) 919-5313
    E-mail: anita.villarreal@tea.state.tx.us

State SES Website:
    http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index4.aspx?id=6217&menu_id=798

FOR TX 2010-2011 SES Provider List-http://www5.esc13.net/ses/Providers_10-11.html

Texas also has:
    #10 “A Plus In-Home Tutoring, LLC”
    #11 “A Plus Tutoring Center” but there is no way to determine if these programs are connected to each other or to AS.

# 42 is Applied Scholastics

Neither Indiana nor Massachusetts have reported their 2010 SES provider list yet nor has Illinois, Louisiana or New Mexico.
  38. AnonLover Member

^^fabulous work, thk u kindly! I'll get wiki page updated w/ new infos tonight.
  39. RightOn Member

Will be busy pooing this week