Customize

DC Public Schools awarded $6K tutoring contract to Applied Scholastics in March

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by OTBT, May 6, 2010.

1. OTBT Member

2. anoninoob Member

3. failboat Member

Re: DC Public Schools awarded $6K tutoring contract to Applied Scholastics in March

DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee is a slave to publicity. She's the only frickin' schoolboss in the country who I know by name.

Good 'pooning, lads.
  4. RightOn Member

Re: DC Public Schools awarded $6K tutoring contract to Applied Scholastics in March

really, what is wrong with these people?
  5. PodPeople Member

Regionally, I'd imagine Washington Teachers' Union Pres would be interested in this. Nationally, American Federation of Teachers Pres. as well.

With continued massive teacher layoffs possible, I'd guess they'd be rather ticked off that any funding is going to Scientology via Applied Scholasticis, or that Applied Scholastics is, in fact, part of Scientology and funds do indeed go into the moneypot of sci.

This article April 17, 2010 re: Rhee, DC, teachers fiasco and Teachers Union have to say about it.

D.C. teachers go back to court over layoffs
  6. Anonymous Member

Can someone direct me to who the best person/place to poon about this?
    In their opinion
  7. Django Member

^^^^^ This, please ^^^^^
  8. failboat Member

Poon any DC or national news outlet that has covered Michelle Rhee/DC Schools in the past few years. There has been a LOT of coverage.

For instance:

Can Michelle Rhee Save D.C.'s Schools? - Newsweek.com

Focus on the reporters that wrote the stories, if you can get them specifically.

The only two other school systems that I have heard any publicity about in the past few years, except local ones, are in NYC and in Florida. And I DON'T know the names of any of the schoolbosses involved.

Here's the National PTA's website

http://www.pta.org/

And some PTA's at several DC schools

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...roup&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQtwMwAA
  9. RightOn Member

Here's more on the PTA:

PTA National Headquarters
    541 N Fairbanks Court
    Suite 1300
    Chicago, IL 60611-3396

Phone: (312) 670-6782
    Toll-Free: (800) 307-4PTA (4782)
    Fax: (312) 670-6783
    E-mail PTA at info@pta.org

PTA Office of Programs and Public Policy
    1400 L Street, NW
    Suite 300
    Washington, DC 20005-9998

Phone: (202) 289-6790
    Fax: (202) 289-6791
  10. 3rdMan Member

11. RightOn Member

12. OTBT Member

Applied Scholastics was awarded another contract in Illinois for the 2009 / 2010 school year. Amount of contract is not indicated in this document:

http://www.isbe.state.il.us/finance/Proviso/meetings09/min_121809.pdf

While it is too late to do anything about the contract for this year, perhaps local anons can prevent a similar contract for the upcoming 2010 / 2011 school year.

=================================================

Here is what the DC Office of the State Superindent of Education has on file regarding Applied Scholastics:

District of Columbia: Office of the State Superintendent of Education

applied.jpg

=================================================

Also, if anyone is interested, here is Applied Scholastics' 2009 / 2010 application to New Mexico for Supplemental Education Services (SES) provider.

http://www.ped.state.nm.us/titleI/d...stics International/09-10 SES Application.doc
  13. RightOn Member

^^^^
    Service location??
    clearly has "Other" checked off?
    "for libraries, site owned operated by a faith based organization, community center?"

Am I reading this correctly?
  14. RightOn Member

Dr Popernik- 630-719-5829 (named as approving contract for Applied Scholastics)
    Dr. James Popernik, Controller, School District Number 58 (Downers Grove), Administrative Service Center, 1860 63rd Street, Downers Grove IL 60516

Downers Grove Grade School District 58
    Administrative Service Center
    1860 63rd Street
    Downers Grove, IL 60516
    Phone: 630-719-5800

http://www.dg58.org/contact/contact.htm

Office of Curriculum and Instruction-

Dr. MaryBeth Webeler
    Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
    Mary Ann Staroscik, Secretary
    630-719-5809
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proviso Township Board of Education:
    Do You Have a Question for the Board of Education?
    The public is encouraged to contact the school board with questions. If you wish to ask a question of any board member, please send an e-mail to BOE@pths209.org, or you may call (708) 338-5910. Communications are first received in the Superintendent’s office and then forwarded to the applicable school board member(s).

also Cheryl Pruitt (her name appears on the enrollment forms for tutorting supplimental educations SES)

Assistant Superintendent and Cirriculum Instruction

8601 West Roosevelt Road
    Forest Park, IL 60130

708.338.5987 FAX
    cpruitt@pths209.org

another Contact:
    pr@pths209.org
    (p) 708-338-4179
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proviso East High School
    807 South First Avenue
    Maywood, IL 60153

Phone (Main): 708-344-7000
    FAX: 708-344-5942
    http://east.pths209.org/ContactUs/index.html

LaTonya Davis- Dean's Office 202-1619
    ldavis@pths209.org

Rose Klein Educational Services
    202-1721
    rklein@pths209.org

Proviso West High School
    public · 9-12 · 2711 students
    4701 Harrison St
    Hillside, IL 60162
    (708) 449-6400
    District: Proviso Township HSD 209
  15. Anonymous Member

Title 1 of the “No Child Left Behind” Act of 2001 (NCLB) allocates funds and grant monies to (hopefully) help improve education (read: test scores) through tutoring services in US schools that have been identified as the lowest achieving. Anyone can apply to receive these funds. Students in these districts are provided after-school tutoring at no cost to the students' families.

NCLB requires that all students must demonstrate high levels of achievement in reading and math by 2014. The government has identified, through the NCLB act, is to help enhance learning for students who attend Title 1 (underachieving) schools by providing Supplemental Educational Services (SES) for them. Think "tutoring" - these vendors don't come into the classroom. They're not district employees. In order to be considered an approved SES vendor for the district or state, they've had to apply and show research-based reasons for why they should be allowed to be an SES. This is what to focus on. There is no research that shows that AS is anything more than clay, dictionaries, and smoke/mirrors.

Several months ago, there was a lengthy thread about this, with information on the specific Title 1 laws of who can/cannot receive tutoring monies. I couldn't find it, but I remember it getting somewhat derailed by someone who thought they knew what they were talking about, but didn't.

As was stated then, Title 1 is a FEDERAL PROGRAM, so it is operated by the Title 1 office within the US Department of Education. THAT is who needs to be educated, IMNSHO, as they provide the guidance, rules, and the MONIES to the states to pay the cult's invoices for services rendered. The states have leeway into setting their own SES application process, but ultimately the DOE is the "big cheese" in all of this.

If you REALLY want to be effective, you need to state your case to the US Department of Education - and someone needs to meet with the Title 1 department within the DOE in person. Anon has attempted to pursue this at a local (school district) and state (state departments of education) with little to no success because the Title 1 governing body is the federal government.

Since you asked who locally to contact, I'd start with the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services or the Superintendent herself. Another option is the district's school board, but when you're talking a district as large as DC's, I don't believe this is the best avenue.

Another option is to prepare a package specifically about CoS and education, and send it to each state Department of Education Title 1 offices AND the US Dept of Education, simultaneously. Perhaps get the media involved.

PS - Some states have not allowed the cult to infiltrate their NCLB Title 1 pocketbook because that state either had more aggressive approval criteria or they had someone who knew their shit involved in reviewing the applications. Be advised that any Jane or John Doe can get a business license and apply to be an SES provider, so the states have been inundated with applications. I would assume that many times they slip in with fraudulent data and someone rubber-stamps their approval without too much evaluation.

BTW, it's probably too late to address the 2010-11 school year, as budgets have been set, approvals have been given, etc. To be effective, this needs to be a coordinated Anon effort, and needs to be launched in the fall, when the next school year begins, to ensure the cult is kept out the following school year.

Hope this info helps.
  16. RightOn Member

Don't forget about Summer school tutoring too!
    and yes I agrree, I mentioned in another post that the funding has to be cut off at the source BEFORE it gets approved. I love the packet idea

No Sci schools that use Applied Scholastics are accredited
  17. Anonymous Member

SES tutoring services have no accreditation requirement to be approved. :(

Re: summer school tutoring - good point! Unfortunately, the budgets and contracts are in place for this summer.
  18. Lorelei Member

I'd prefer that $6k to go towards a teacher's salary. You know, someone who has graduated from college and has educational credentials, and not someone trying to promote useless HubTech (squish this PlayDoh, open that dictionary, pull my finger).
  19. RightOn Member

if parents knew there was no requirement for approval, maybe it would make a difference.
    No accreditation= children learning Scientology study tech

and the summer school thing may already be in place for THIS summer, but we can always head them off at the pass for next summer
  20. Anonymous Member

Exactly! Whatever's done needs to be done/completed by next November-ish for the 2011-2012 school year and 2011 summer.
  21. Goosh Goosh Member

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
  22. RightOn Member

Our dear Mary Cockburn has been on the Freewinds THREE times and is clear.
    I guess one can afford such Sci courses charging $60.00 an hour for tutoring ( I mean playing with clay)

Mary Cockburn ROUTE TO INFINITY Freewinds 1 1989-12-01
    Mary Cockburn PERCEPTION OF TRUTH COURSE Freewinds 3 1990-08-01
    Mary Cockburn HUBBARD LIFE ORIENTATION COURSE Freewinds 12 1993-12-01
    7143 Mary Cockburn Auditor 150
    Clear 7243 MARY COCKBURN Auditor 154

Mary Cockburn - Scientology Service Completions | Truth About Scientology Statistics Project
  23. xenubarb Member

Yanno, I would not even consider a tutor who can't tell the difference between 'dependent' and 'dependant.'

It's like the students will be hanging off branches like ripe fruit or something. FFS, it's one of those common mistakes in English, like 'its' and 'it's.'

It shows a lack of depth in knowledge of the English language. Probably okay for the lower grade school levels, but some kids are pretty damned slick by 4th grade, and could probably tutor the tutor.

"Dependant" indeed. LMAO.
  24. Anonymous Member

Also, government watchdog press types can be very helpful.
  25. Anonymous Member

^ QFT
  26. DeathHamster Member

Don't forget:

File that Knowledge Report, go see the Ethics Officer, please hold the cans...
  27. AnonLover Member

info pack spinner reporting for duty...

Dr.T's classic What Is Study Tech? collections of essays is relevant ITT:
    http://www.studytech.org/study_tech_print.pdf

and I'm pondering if we need a fresh version of ^^that with the good Doc's Applied Scholastics info here tapped into it:

Scientology's Education Fronts - Applied Scholastics International

what other recent stuff might make good additions for an extended info pack to countering AS funding?
  28. HellRazor Member

Wrong ling?
    fix'd: http://www.studytech.org/study_tech1.php

How about these:
    Applied Scholastics and Scientology: A testimony from inside
    Opinions on Scientology Study Technology

For the lulz:
    Scientology Schools K->12 How do they do in College after that? - Mike Adkins Online
  29. AnonLover Member

whoops on ling, here's the pdf version i was looking at as possible starting point to spin something fresh & fitting for DOE the target:
    http://www.studytech.org/study_tech_print.pdf

thks for other good stuff - moar?
  30. HellRazor Member

31. DeathHamster Member

Don't know if this was moved or removed, but Wayback to the rescue:
    Scientology v. Education - The Scam of "Study Technology" : Scientology official admits ASI program a "generation plant"
    Summary:
    The Brighten School & Arts Academy
    Expansion Game, tell me that's not Scientology...

For lulz: Applied Scholastics Writing Fun Kit that includes a purple Xenu.
    www.RanchPublications.com - Writing Fun Kit (Scilon site)

A good article:
    • L Is for L. Ron October 26, 2005, Kristen Hinman, Riverfront Times, Village Voice Media
  32. AnonLover Member

OK here's a draft info pack for Applied Scholastics poonage use, its excerpts from relevant materials on studytech.org where hyperlinks have been updated in few spots plus britfag spelling & grammer americanized for use in the US:

AppliedScholasticsExposed2.doc

HALP WANTED - NEEDS 3 Things:
    • Text for the last section adapted from the juicy post quoted below
    • Recommendations on anything else worth adding
    • Somebody with better PDF tool to make the final version - my cheesy print driver is choking on hyperlinks and not rendering clickable links in later half of the doc for some odd reason I cant figure out

33. MaidOfWin Member

I am a better proofreader than internetter so here are my comments instead of a fix'd version:

p. 3 "Long-time Scientologist Isaac Hayes is the celebrity spokesperson" (from beyond the graaaave! Who's spokesweasel now?)

p. 6 block quote from tax compliance manual should be formatted as such (indent, different font?)

p. 8 also should blockquote the numbered list to show that it's a direct quote from scilon materials.

(p. 9 and 11 are both numbered p. 3???)

As far as the final section goes, I'm not sure the post you quote has anything of use. Who is the target of the packet? PTAs? The states? The DoE? Do we just want to say something about how SES participants are supposed to have actual evidence to back up their claims and ASI has yet to produce any so GTFO?
  34. Smurf Member

She has an interesting history. She's engaged to be married to the current mayor of Sacramento, CA, the city's first African-American mayor who paid off a 16-year old girl who accused him of sexual assault, in lieu of being prosecuted.

Michelle Rhee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kevin Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She was interview by Anderson Cooper last January:

http://www.thewedistrict.com/michelle-rhee-on-anderson-cooper-360/
  35. Anonymous Member

Yes.

crop2u.jpg

I thought you yanks had a big hangup about separation of church and state.
  36. AnonLover Member

thks for these... i got other stuff in the works for the last section. i should have a finished info pack by tomorrow.
  37. Anonymous Member

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I would suggest an introduction (or first paragraph) that summarizes the entire infopack with these points:

1. Applied Scholastics is Scientology
    2. Study Tech is based on Scientology theory
    3. LRH created above and has no background in teaching or education
    4. Study Tech is unproven
  38. OTBT Member

St. Louis info. Check out the unsubstantiated claims at the bottom:

http://www2.kcmsd.net/Documents/Title I/Second Session of SESProviders Description09-10.pdf

39. Anonymous Member

When they say "certified" teachers, they mean Applied Scholastics-certified, not Department of Education (via the states) -certified - which is what you have to be to be employed/teach in any US public school. Unfortunately, there is no requirement in the NCLB act that SES vendors be state-certified.

It's shady advertisement.
  40. Scatman Member

When will those people find out that "word clearing" the largest part of "Study Tech" was plagiarized from the book, "Elements of Composition and Rhetoric" by Virginia Waddy, chapter 8, Style, written in 1889. Hubbard never credited Waddy, but fraudulently claimed that he discovered that. Study Tech is based on plagiarism and fraud.