Customize

DC Public Schools awarded $6K tutoring contract to Applied Scholastics in March

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by OTBT, May 6, 2010.

1. mirror neuron Member

Re: DC Public Schools awarded $6K tutoring contract to Applied Scholastics in March

I have a relative traveling to DC this summer for Teach for America. Will send along this information and ask for reports back. Would appreciate any information others have about specific schools that may be involved.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: DC Public Schools awarded $6K tutoring contract to Applied Scholastics in March

I'm not saying the above is true since Scilons did not provide any dox on effectiveness, but it is not impossible. If the students are really far behind, it may not take much tutoring effort (just a bit of one-on-one attention) for them to advance. For example, a grade 4 student reading at a grade 1 level could advance to a grade 2 reading level with Study Tech. They are still behind, mind you.
  3. AnonLover Member

As of Sept 2009, studytech.org reports Applied Scholastics Has Infiltrated the Boards of Ed of at least Eleven States in addition to DC
    Scientology v. Education - The Scam of "Study Technology" : Applied Scholastics Has Infiltrated the Boards of Ed of at least Eleven States

moar info at link, info pack nearly done and will be bounced to a new thread in compositions subforum once i got a polished final draft ready for review.
  4. AnonLover Member

I'm cross referencing the studytech.org list of states where applied scholastics was confirmed as an APPROVED SES provider, vs. the stuff OTBT found ITT vs. Ed.gov list of SES contact info by state board of ed... to build an updated list of states & related contact info where we are in need of poonage for the info pack dox.

And NM has me stumped, i cant be 100% sure if it this application is definitely an approved SES por not. Here's NM SES contact info i got from national DOE info site...
    i'm not seeing/finding the usual list of approved SES providers on ^^that site. albqfags might wanna poke their poons towards Martinez and find out for sure if AS got approved in their state.
  5. OTBT Member

According to this New Mexico Public Education Department web site, Applied Scholastics is an approved SES provider for 2009-2010

Title I Supplemental Education Services

cropys.jpg

6. OTBT Member

Applied Scholastics used to be an approved SES provider for Illinois, but I don't know if they are still approved.

Undated Excel file from Illinois state:

http://www.isbe.state.il.us/ses/excel/provider_district_info.xls

If Applied Scholastics is no longer approved in Illinois, maybe someone can track down docs regarding why they are no longer approved...

/ Edit

< doh! > Yes, Illinois is still approved. I forgot this post already:

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-...-applied-scholastics-march-66253/#post1241233
  7. OTBT Member

Ohio had Applied Scholastics as an approved SES provider in this undated document. Document properties show the file was created in November 2008:

STATE OF OHIO APPROVED SES PROVIDERS view or download as pdf - /download/65_book-applied-scholastics/state-of-ohio-approved-ses-providers.pdf

8. AnonLover Member

good stuff OTBT - I'm putting your links to good use in mai info pack...

and thanks for the 2nd set of eyes on finding the right NM link! (/doh - i thought i clicked thru every page on the Title I stuff /facepalm)
  9. RightOn Member

This is fantastic OTBT.
    Cut the funding off from where it originates before it gets to the schools and tutors
    the SES does not do it's homework!
  10. Belladonna Member

11. OTBT Member

I am sure the list was accurate as of September 2009 - you usually do very good research.

However, according to the document in this post, Applied Scholastics was approved in Illinois in December 2009, a few months after your September 2009 list:

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-...-applied-scholastics-march-66253/#post1241233

12. Belladonna Member

Ah, I see. Would that be an early bid for school year 2010-11? I know they were approved for last school year (2008-09) and then not renewed; I can't imagine how approval in Dec can apply for the school year which began 4 months earlier.
  13. OTBT Member

Unfortunately, the school document doesn't specify exactly what the contract / bid is for, or when it starts and ends, or the contract $ amount.
  14. AnonLover Member

Thks Belladonna - i had an inkling you were behind the originally studytech.org list but i hadnt had a chance to dig thru your post history yet to confirm that.

and I am currently rechecking all the other states cuz i found a few where the application period cutoff was January, and one where it was even as late as March - thus i thought it couldnt hurt to see if any other late approvals snuck in since you first tackled it back in September.

FWIW - here's the latest draft of the info pack I'm working on for targeting this angle, I just got the Contact Info section at the end finished last nite (and I'm still verifying all the website links work & rechecking the state providers lists for infiltration)
    AppliedScholasticsExposed.pdf

^^still needs a better intro & some touchups done to the sections at the very beginning of those dox.
  15. Anonymous Member

You're right. It can't, usually. School budgets have to be finalized by March 15? (somewhere around there) so that the feds can give the states the money to pass to the locals, etc. Likely, due to the budgetary concerns, districts are trying to finalize what they can so that they won't be left in the dust, money-wise. So, yes, it's likely an early bid for the FOLLOWING school year.

If it's a PO (purchase order for services already rendered) versus a true contract for services not yet performed, that would be a way it could be for the previous school year.
  16. AnonLover Member

Did FL schools drop the banhammer on Applied Scholastics SES approval status for the 2009-10 school year? heh... it appears that way, /r/ somebody more knowledgeable than me in educateme field fact check me on this point plox.

Back in September 2009, belladonna's list of infiltrated schools on studytech.org states the following "Florida is still in appeals and has not completed their list."
    Scientology v. Education - Applied Scholastics Has Infiltrated the Boards of Ed of at least Eleven States

So I went digging around the state SES info to see if ^^that had been finalized for 2009-1010
    Florida Public School Options - Supplemental Educational Services (SES)

and i couldnt find any mention of the appeal, but the following link says the initial approval process is closed, as-is the reconsideration period
    Florida Public School Options

And going thru the searchable directory for SES Providers list
    Florida Supplemental Educational Services - Districts

^^it appears that Applied Scholastics was approved for 2008-09 school year, but NOT approved for 2009-10. so surely the appeal process is long over and its safe to assume AS lost their approved status in FL? (and if so - lulz!)
  17. Belladonna Member

18. AnonLover Member

ahhh yes, thanks so much for ling - that was the thread i had seen before but was in need of re-finding. I'm a shifting my attention to that thread from here on out, for future poonage & info pack efforts.

You did an excellent job on all this stuff B, and now that we seen DC infiltration managed to sneak in as late comer to the approved SES list, methinks its high time we started paying closer attention to state approved SES provider lists & dedicating greater amounts of poonage where necessary.
  19. Belladonna Member

I guess we're compiling the list for 2010-11 school year already then, huh? Starting with DC? How sad - Applied Scholastics is continuing to make inroads. I thought it was going in the other direction...

Just a note - it's weird that DC is giving them a fixed dollar amount rather than the per-hour fees they're receiving from the states. (details noted in last September's thread)
  20. AnonLover Member

my thought is to get a jump on things for 2010-11, and make sure nobody else got approved since last fall. I'm finding that a couple of states have reconsideration/resubmittal process...

if they failed to get approved when the SES list is first released in the fall, a few states have a loophole where the provider can resubmt a corrected application and get into the program 1st qtr of the following year *if* their readily available in a School District thats been newly deemed as underpar & enitled to NCLB options but lacking a sizeable list of local vendors.
  21. Anonymous Member

If 'pooning school officials, school boards, govt is not getting results, may I humbly suggest writing letters to the editor of local newspapers. Inform the taxpaying public that their tax money is going directly to Scientology ang get them to pressure the education authorities as well.
  22. OTBT Member