Customize

UK - Digital Economy Act court challenge fails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WhiteNight, Apr 20, 2011.

1. WhiteNight Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13141986

Shit.

2. Profanity Member

...oh dear.
  3. cfanon Member

It was bound to happen. Still, shit.
  4. Profanity Member

If I've followed this right, they're going to be tracing offenders through IPs? That's kinda retarded.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WhiteNight Member

Sort of.
    If they get your IP, they talk to the relevant ISPs, then find your ISP, who then, by law, have to send you a warning letter to mend your ways (lol). If they accuse you again then your ISP has to give the copyright holder + their lawyers your dox. Then they shut off your tubes.
    They never need to produce any real evidence, it's all done by letters. Oh, and there's no real way to appeal. You can't appeal to the ISP, because they'd rather leave this whole stuff alone (notice how it was BT and Talk Talk who took it to the high court) and you can't appeal to the copyright holder. And the government has nothing to do with it. They've given the key to the banana plantation to the biggest monkey and then fucked off on holiday (metaphorically speaking).

Oh, and Labour passed this as their last law in the last 2 weeks before they had to leave government.
    Tories are cunts, Lib Dems are faggots and Labour's screwed us over again and again. We're fucked.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Profanity Member

We should just listen to the newfags and take over the government.

...nah. Even in jest, it's a shit idea. Then again, Cameron...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. xenulondon Member

tech savvy people will just pirate more, using VPNs & shit

Spooks will find it harder to watch naughty people doing bad things. The DEA is full of ghey and AIDS
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Anonymous Member

No matter who you vote for The Government always gets in.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. WhiteNight Member

It won't be the gov enforcing this. It's be copyright holders. ISP's are desperately trying to avoid getting involved.
  10. Anonymous Member

Surely using tor will mean this law is unenforceable?
  11. WhiteNight Member

You only have to slip up once. And the vast majority of illegal downloaders don't know about Tor.
    I hate to sound like a PA'er, but is there some way of contacting the PirateBay guys and getting them to advertise Tor or some other solution on their site or something?
    inb4NYPA
  12. cfanon Member

Tor can be traced, but it's much harder and involves having lots of zombie nodes within tor.
  13. cfanon Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. Anonymous Member

OMRLP?
    (not a ukfag, I can't tell if they're gloriously retarded or just retarded)
  15. cfanon Member

Oh I wish OMRLP could get in... If only for the lulz.
  16. WhiteNight Member

The who what what?
  17. Profanity Member

18. cfanon Member

Official Monster Raving Loony Party :p

It'd be awesome for them to win some seats, purely for the lulz.
  19. WhiteNight Member

OH. The Monster Raving Loony Party! I thought they got disbanded because their chairman (I think it was a cat) died?
  20. Profanity Member

Ohhh! I love those guys. Watching them stood next to the other candidates dressed in clashing colours and oversized hats amuses me so.

They were in the last election, so I guess they're still going.
  21. cfanon Member

They're sort of still going... In 2010 they ran in quite a few places.
  22. Herro Member

Awwwe they're making it harder to break the law. Cry more.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

Yeah, I'm not stupid enough to feed you. Troll all you want.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. WhiteNight Member

Ignore troll, carry on.

Sadly I'm in pretty solid Tory homeland and it's all far too sensible to get a MRLP guy standing around me. Just read their manifesto. I lol'd
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Anonymous Member

Any download other than movies are trivial. I experimented with my own (free) TOR node in the cloud. You can use 3 our your own nodes, let the public use all or some of them, I don't see how you can be traced or liable for anything. More than that, for Amazon I can put nodes in US, Europe or Asia. Unless Amazon has to maintain logs for all the clouds, and have to give them up to a foreign court, we are fine.

For movies there are pirate VPN services for torrents or whatever. All for less or much less than going to the cinema once per month. For Amazon it's currently free (I have mine too). We still need precedents even if ISP's are to monitor your activities, Amazon is not an ISP. And what happens if your own computer in the cloud is caught downloading a movie? Is Amazon or your pirate VPN provider need to maintain logs and give them up?

There are already plenty of file download sites that charges you a little. Basically you can share files via TOR hidden services. Things will change a lot if sharers bring their own nodes (for free or very little).
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Admittedly, the newfag proposals are cancerous in the extreme, but in principle, I can't see how operating a government along imageboard lines could be any worse than what we already have.

Imagine... Unpopular policies getting SAGEd into oblivion... MPs getting temp bans for faggotry... Hansard filled with Guro spam...
    • Like Like x 2
  27. WhiteNight Member

MP's got temp bans for fraud. What we want is temp bans for MP's taking the piss, permabans for fraud + other illegal shit. Btw, permaban = hanging.
    I actually like the idea. Wierd.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Anonymous Member

I found and successfully tried this! Running bit torrent on EC2, controlling it via your browser.
    http://mwmanning.com/2010/11/29/ec2-micro-instance-as-a-remote-bittorrent-client/

1GB is about 30 min download to EC2, and about the same time to copy the file to your local computer. It's free for some 15 GB in and out per month, and over that it would be about a quarter per GB (?) to your hard drive.

I don't think Amazon is obliged to maintain logs. They are liable for DCMA take downs but who cares. You can put your EC2 offshore. You can also use one EC2 to setup the other.
  29. Anonymous Member

Sounds awesome, but I didn't understand a word of that.
  30. Anonymous Member

torrent is very easy to spot in the network if amazone have some qualitiy of service in there cloud.

dont try this.
    with your realname.

go aorund an use some "open" wlan´s
    and drop some small laptop there

evil twins welcome
  31. Anonymous Member

Ok, you SO did that deliberately. What the f*ck are you talking about?
  32. cfanon Member

Someone posted a shit idea, that's way too easy to trace, and another person said you shouldn't use your real name but instead steal someone elses interwebs from unsecured wireless.
  33. Anonymous Member

2nd idea doesnt sound so bad. There's a limit to how far that can go though.
  34. Sounds like a darknet just became a little bit more necessary in limeyland.
  35. Also, as much as you have my sympathies, I can't say I'm surprised. While this is unrelated, your libel laws are almost as draconian as Iran's. Good luck getting this steaming pile of shit undone.
  36. WhiteNight Member

In my experience nothing in politics ever gets undone.
  37. Except for Prohibition in the US. No, wait. We just replaced one Prohibition with dozens.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

One step at a time. You pay a few dollars for a VPN service, anonymous bit torrence service, or Usenet. It's probably cheaper if you have run your bit torrent client on the cloud, and it's very fast, could be hitting 1MB/s for hot torrents. If you pay, their VPN or SSH are hosted on some clouds anyway, so it may not be more anonymous.

2nd step. Amazon EC2 can be anonymous, standard procedure. Wear a mustache, a hood, and buy a gift card from across the state, etc. You can get one SIM card for less than $2, sometimes required necessary for phone verification. You never set up the EC2 account via any of IP's traceable to you. Say you set everything up in Starbucks. After the torrent download in the EC2, you download the file also in Starbucks.

More conveniently, you can chain SSH to work on EC2, seven proxies and still pretty fast. I wouldn't bother with that too much as I bet Amazon is not going after bit torrent users actively - it's legal. They are only required to do DCMA take down if received. At most Amazon WILL do is close down your account. They are not going to use their own money to sue you. Any other anonymous service providers will operate about the same conditions, only difference is jurisdiction. Russia, China do have their advantages but will you trust them with your computer and payment accounts? Actually bit torrent download is alive and well. If you are careful, you can operate two EC2, in Japan, Europe, while you are based in US.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

There is no law enforcement involved. Its just big business and your ISP. Law enforcement has no say. There is no due process or anything.
  40. Anonymous Member

If I read that right, they have the ability to take offenders to court to possibly takes their interwebs. That's different.